About Team BrowserSpree
Team BrowserSpree was one of the 10 sponsored teams selected in this summer’s Rails Girls Summer of Code, and had a pretty busy summer. Based in Washington, DC, teammates Jam Black and Britney Wright, along with their coaches, Patrick Peak and Tanya Bodanya, set a goal of integrating BrowserCMS, a Rails content management system, and Spree into a gem–- BrowserSpree. If you missed part one of this story, feel free to check it out now.
On September 30th, Team BrowserSpree welcomed its “bundle” of joy—our own gem—bcms_spree. It’s been a busy summer, all while both holding (new) full-time jobs, we managed to accomplish our goals for Rails Girls Summer of Code, including:
· Updating BrowserCMS, v 4.0 Beta documentation
· Giving talks at Steel City Ruby & Ruby for Good
· Building stores in BrowserCMS and Spree, separately
· Releasing our first gem—bcms_spree
· Creating our demo store
The bcms_spree gem is the glue that binds BrowserCMS and Spree in a single application. The installation process is slightly different from other BrowserCMS modules, as it involves installing BrowserCMS, Spree, and the module itself. As we built our module, we found that BrowserCMS 4.0 Beta was most compatible with Spree 2.2.4 due to gem dependency issues with newer versions of Paperclip 3.4.1 and Rails 4. Features that we built include:
· Full access to Spree Storefront features and functionality
· Create products, process orders, accept payments
Single user model:
· Spree user attributes are added to existing BrowserCMS user model
· Links to Spree/BCMS frontend and backend in nav bar
Separate admin access:
· BrowserCMS and SpreeAdmin areas are separate
· Grant admin access to both areas, just one, or none
Product Portlets & Shopping Carts:
· Starter portlets included to display products on BrowserCMS project pages and most recent products added/viewed
· Display shopping cart on all pages
· Add shopping cart to BrowserCMS pages for visibility throughout the site
To demo the store, please visit: https://browserspree.herokuapp.com!
Check out our work on github: https://github.com/browserspree/bcms_spree!
And if you want to know more about how we got here, visit our blog: http://browserspree.tumblr.com!
We’d like to sincerely thank our coaches – Patrick Peak & Tanya Bodanya, our supervisor Markus Prinz, nclud for hosting us, and everyone affiliated with Rails Girls Summer of Code, including this summer’s sponsors.