Discover the Power and Flexibility of the Spree Commerce Promotion System
There is no doubt that the global economic downturn has made e-commerce merchants adapt to more frugal shoppers and, thus, adjust their business prospects. In addition, they must also adjust their margins, in order to offer the most attractive price for consumers.
Traditional brick-and-mortar stores are, perhaps, the ones that have seen their sales decrease the most, due in part to shoppers’ reduced income and the rise of e-commerce. This is also due to their online counterparts’ ability to escape the influence of lower prices, and offer their customers benefits that go beyond savings on purchases.
In fact, every single e-commerce store can encourage customers with coupons, discounts, and special offers if they meet certain conditions. This is one of the most common marketing tools used to motivate shoppers to buy their products. Promotions that are typically seen include:
• Free shipping
• Coupons lowering the price for certain products
• Customers receiving discounts upon entrance through a particular landing page
Looking at the specific trading platform used for 3llideas, provided by Spree Commerce, much of the philosophy used is in an effort to promote the store’s largest possible business margin, and base the development decisions on the point of sale being as attractive as possible to the customer.
Due to the vast experience of Spree’s developer community, it was decided at the time to rewrite the functionality of Spree Commerce’s promotions, with the intention of making them as flexible and extensible as possible. The development was completed and led to a very advanced and functional product, as seen below:
Defining a new class
We define each Spree Commerce promotion as follows:
• By name, description and coupon code (optional)
• Whether it will be be visible by all or just some visitors
• Classifying the amount of time that the promotion will remain active
• Including the option of limiting the number of uses to avoid overflow of a successful promotion
Once it is defined as a Spree Commerce promotion, we monitor its success using the following criteria:
1) Validating event promotion
We tell you when this promotion is validated by choosing:
• When a product is added to the cart
• When something is changed within the order
• The timestamp when a user registers
• When a coupon is added to the order
These options allow promotion beyond the typical discount coupons, and have the promotions added automatically without the need for the customer to perform any action.
The rules define whether a promotion is applicable to a given store order. By default, we have the following rules at our disposal:
• If the total value of the order meets a certain amount above, or below, that of the promotion
• If the order contains one or all of the specified products
• When the order is made by certain registered users
• If this is the first order for this particular customer
• The user must be logged in to authenticate the promotion
Define what will happen when the promotion is applied to a particular order. We define two types of default actions:
• Create an adjustment: This action is used to quantify a certain amount, usually off the normal retail price, that meets a certain criteria. The system provides a certain type of default setting with the option to apply a new one easily.
• Add a line to order: In this case we would allow the customer to add another item to the order, automatically, to satisfy the promotion. Think: Buy one get one free.
Examples of Promotions:
• Buy product A, get 10% off product B
• Discount Coupon
• Free shipping if you buy more than X amount
By using a Spree online store, we have increased flexibility when creating our promotions. There is no added cost by Spree, as this functionality is included in the open source software. From here, the promotions can be added depending on our needs at the time, since Spree’s framework will allow us to incorporate new rules that implement all the promotions and actions we have at our disposal. Also, there are additional e-commerce solutions that include the ability to import ERP code coupon promotion, as well as the ability to auto generate or integrate with other systems.
3llideas was born as a commmercial enterprise with a mission to leverage growth of internet retailers. 3llideas specializes in development and implementation of online stores, using Spree’s opensource software to come up with the best e-commerce solutions. 3llideas offers a flexible solution that lets you differentiate and integrate your online store with your business in mind, and develops your internet channel with your specific objectives. To view this original post in its Spanish format, click here.